Shmup Development (using XNA and C#)

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Absolutely core

I have created what I think is the absolutely core functionality for a shmup game.

I got objects that can be recycled, and in this type of game this is very important. Lots of different enemies spawn and then dissapear again (they exit view or die) after a few seconds. Also lots and lots of bullets will spawn and then dissapear again (when they hit something or can't be seen). Everytime a new enemy or bullet spawn I don't want to create a new instance, so I have created this "Factory" class to deal with this problem. I must say that it works pretty good.

Waypoint functionality have also been created. Every enemy can have a set of waypoints added, and then fly through all the points in order, smoothly and with curves. I used something called "CatmullRom" which operates on vectors. I just give this function four vectors and a "time" value between 0 and 1 and it calculates the new position for the enemy. Effective, and it is very easy to create new paths for enemies.

I have also created a very basic "Player" class that can be controlled with the keyboard. The player can also aim with the mouse and shoot in all directions. Very basic collision detection has also been implemented, so you can actually shoot the enemies that come flying and they will explode and die if they are hit!

I work with my project everytime I can and it's slowly progressing. The graphics are so lousy that you want to cry but I have created something that could very well look like a game. Of course not any game rules have been applied yet and there is no meny system or anything, but still... I got something to work with!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home